Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving - 2010


If you do a search on the internet for the word, "Thanksgiving" you will get a listing of many sites. Like I did.

I know what Thanksgiving means to me. It is a specific time to give thanks for all that I have. A time for gratitude. A time to give thanks to God for so many blessings. Yes, a time to be with family and friends in the celebration of life and gratitude for all.

On Wikipedia you can read this statement: "Thanksgiving Day, known informally as "Turkey Day," is a harvest festival celebrated primarily in the United States and Canada. Thanksgiving was a holiday to express thankfulness, gratitude, and appreciation to God, family and friends for which all have been blessed of material possessions and relationships. Traditionally, it has been a time to give thanks for a bountiful harvest. This holiday has since moved away from its religious roots."

What a shame! Thanksgiving for me will never move away from its religious roots.

Here is a video from http://www.history.com that I think you will find a little bit interesting:



My prayer for all of you: that you will have a wonderful and fun Thanksgiving. Full of delicious food and the comradery that only comes with being around family and friends. That you will be watched over as you travel and reach your destination safely. That you keep those less fortunate in your prayers and be thankful for what you do have.

A Thanksgiving Day Prayer

Lord, so often times, as any other day
When we sit down to our meal and pray

We hurry along and make fast the blessing
Thanks, amen. Now please pass the dressing

We're slaves to the olfactory overload
We must rush our prayer before the food gets cold

But Lord, I'd like to take a few minute more
To really give thanks to what I'm thankful for

For my family, my health, a nice soft bed
My friends, my freedom, a roof over my head

I'm thankful right now to be surrounded by those
Whose lives touch me more than they'll ever possibly know

Thankful Lord, that You've blessed me beyond measure
Thankful that in my heart lives life's greatest treasure

That You, dear Jesus, reside in that place
And I'm ever so grateful for Your unending grace

So please, heavenly Father, bless this food You've provided
And bless each and every person invited

Amen!
--Scott Wesemann





Elaine

No comments: