Friday, December 3, 2010

It's The Season - Christmas Tree

Oh! Christmas Tree
Oh! Christmas Tree





A Christmas tree can be real or artificial. It doesn't really make any difference because it is the joy and blessings behind the Christmas tree that carries so much meaning.

Until I was 21 we always celebrated Christmas at my Grandparents house. I can remember how thrilled  and elated I was to be able to help my Grandmother decorate the tree on Christmas eve. That's right. My Grandmother never put up the Christmas tree until Christmas eve. And, it was always a real fir tree.

Now, they are put up way before Christmas. The reason must be to hurry up and bring on the joy and the wonder of the Christmas season. You can't put up a Christmas tree without having a smile on your face and feeling this great inner joy. Well, unless those dang lights are so tangled up you get so frustrated and throw them in the trash and go get some more. Been there - done that. Now I just leave them on my artificial tree.

The tradition of putting up and decorating a tree for Christmas goes way back to the 16th century. That's a long time, folks.







And, did you know a star or angel is also traditional. They represent the Star of Bethlehem and the band of angels at the nativity.


I found some very interesting tid-bits about the origin and history at this site Christmas Tree Farm Network.
Worth the read.



“The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree is the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other” ~~ Burton Hills

No comments: